Much like a stained glass window changing from beautiful to magnificent when the sun shines through it, our makeup and hair can change in the same way when our inner light shines through – you know the one: that energy and vibrancy we see and feel from ourselves when we’re at our healthiest.
You don’t necessarily need to know that Vitamin E is great for skin collagen or that Vitamin A is used for healing the cells and rebuilding fresh healthy skin and hair.
You don’t even need to know that Vitamin B brings oxygen into your skin giving you a fresher, younger look. Nor that stress hormones age us quicker and can make us think erratically.
All you need to do is make 5 simple additions to your life and you will reap the benefits (and please be aware at this stage that I’m leaving out the obvious ones about drinking plenty of water and exercising, for fear of repetitive ear strain)…
1. Every day introduce the traffic light system to your already healthy diet – keep your colours together when juicing or making smoothies full of goodness; and only juice vegetables, herbs and apples (don’t juice other fruits, eat them whole and leave about an hour between drinking a smoothie or juice and eating fruit)…
RED – beetroot: cleans the blood, calms the body and the Romans used it as an aphrodisiac. If it doesn’t get your inner-light fired up, maybe it’ll work on your partner!
ORANGE – carrot: for healthier hair and skin.
GREEN – come on now, loads of veggies and herbs are green: if I were a younger woman I would happily list all of the benefits but anti-ageing and reduction of dark circles around the eyes are enough for me to be sold on green juices. You could spend time looking up the benefits yourself or alternatively drink green juices for 4 weeks and just look in the mirror!
- Spinach contains 23 nutrients so get plenty of that in;
- When juicing or making smoothies and adding herbs or veg of the same colour, don’t add too many varieties or your body has to work hard to unravel it again; and
- Add pre-soaked seeds to everything, especially flax seeds if your skin has a tendency to flare up.
2. Timing-wise keep your coffee away from your nutrients and your sugar to a still-enjoyable minimum…
Caffeine reduces your body’s ability to absorb vitamins and minerals and sugar lowers your immune system for 20 minutes per sugary treat. If you’re often snacking sweet things, your body will be over-worked and that will of course show on your skin (and in your doctor’s notes!)
3. Stand tall with good posture and your head held high (check out “mountain pose” on Google)…
When your spine is straight your body simply works better, your energy is lifted and more oxygen can nourish your body.
4. Breathe well – your breathing is regarded as the “messenger between body and mind”…
How you breathe determines the chemical releases in your body – if you breathe deeply your body relaxes, your stress hormones reduce and your mind becomes positive. Deep breathing is also good for keeping emotions calm when things become a bit overwhelming and you will simply look better.
5. Learn to meditate – in my opinion this is the greatest gift you can give yourself and your loved ones…
Check out “mindfulness meditation“, it’s big business at the moment but has been around for thousands of years. It is a scientifically proven practice that has been simplified to an effortless level, you need a good lead and Jon Kabat-Zinn is a favourite of mine.
I hope you’ve enjoyed Tanya‘s blog post and are already planning on adding some of her wisdom to your healthcare regime so that your inner light becomes a beacon of health.